Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Why Get Physicallly Fit?

Let's face it, we all want to look our best.  I'm no exception. I'm not going to lie to you, I've never really considered myself fat. I've never had a six pack, and my thighs have never exactly measured up to my standards but I have a small frame-- 4' 11" tall and not a whole lot on it.  This morning I weighed 105.5 on my scale that measures by the half pound.  I'm not too concerned with that number, It's about 3 pounds more than I weighed when I got married 8+ years ago; but since that time not only have I gained 3 pounds, I've also given birth to 4 good sized healthy babies.  That has taken a toll on my body, plain and simple.  Over the years I figure (if you include what the babies and amniotic fluid weighed) I've gained and lost over 200 pounds!  I've exercised pretty much whenever I wasn't pregnant, mostly "the Firm" workouts.  But I never really got where I wanted to be.  I never lost this pouch on my belly that hangs over my belt and makes me feel gross.  I never really understood why I was lifting the weight that I was lifting, the number of reps, or exactly which muscle group I was supposed to be working, and how that would benefit me.

On top of all that, it's not just about looking good in a bathing suit in the summer.  Think about it, ladies, our husbands are visually oriented.  Why wouldn't I want to look my very best for him, if I don't want him looking anywhere else?  Yes, I believe he needs to do his part by building mental walls and such, but I figure I can make it easier on him. So why wouldn't I work hard for something as important as that?  I don't know about you but I want my husband to be no less than excited when he thinks about what's waiting for him at the end of the day, and Song of Solomon tells us that's the way it should be!
So what am I going to do about it? Well, for one thing I'm not going to sit around on my rear wishing I could be thin and beautiful!  I'm going to make it happen.  God gave each of us a unique physique, but he also gave us the ability to mold that physique anyway we like, within limits. of course (or to sit around and let it get flabby and disproportionate) I choose to mold.
So, rather than continue on the same path, following workouts that are tailored to be generic, not getting the results that I'm looking for (or just not exercising, since I can't seem to fit those videos into my day anymore) I bought a book.  In this book, Brad Schoenfeld explains what a woman can do to tailor a workout for her body to get exactly the results she's looking for. It's not a cake walk.  It's going to be hard work, but I'm ready for it.  I started last night.  More on that in another post. I'll be chronicling that journey here. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment