Friday, March 4, 2011

About to Break Free

I just started a new Beth Moore Bible Study, "Breaking Free".  To be perfectly honest, I didn't even know the we were beginning a women's study at church.  But God works in mysterious ways, and He had a plan for me. If I had been able to just drop off my youngest in his nursery class, I would have gone into the auditorium as usual, and sat through the service.  Not that that's a bad thing, mind you.  I love to hear our preacher!  But God knew I needed this study, even if I didn't. 

As it turns out, I ended up waiting for the nursery worker to show up for about 15 minutes or so and then got into a conversation with another mom about ear infections (more about that another time), so I was only maybe 2 or 3 minutes early for the service.  I should mention that I don't just randomly show up 45 minutes early for service; the kid's AWANA program is on Wednesday nights and it starts 30 minutes before the service, and I have 2 different places to drop children off before 6:30.  Anyway, as I was about to walk into the Auditorium to find a seat I ran into a friend who was looking for the women's Bible study, and so I decided to join her.  I am so thankful that I did!
I didn't realize that I was in bondage.  I didn't know this study would be relevant for me.  I didn't even know the title of the study until it was well underway.  But as I sat and listened , and as she read lists of testimonies; things women had been set free from, I said to myself repeatedly "that's me".  As she explained the cyclical destructive thought patterns that she terms stongholds, several issues came to mind that cause destructive thought cycles and discouragement and I began to be overwhelmed with gratitude to the Lord for allowing me to be a part of this study here and now. I am so excited at the prospect of being freed from these strongholds that have held me captive for so long, and which keep me from complete fellowship with my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment